Blackheads are caused when the top layer of plug of sebum in your pores oxidizes and turns into black color. This happens when the sebum gets exposed to air. Blackheads are pimples that don’t have skin over them. There’s no need to squish and squeeze them out.
Keeping blackheads away:
The best way to keep them away is cleaning out your pores regularly. Use a good cleanser to clean your pores. Don’t wash your face with harsh cleansers. This makes your skin overreact and produce more oil, which means your blackheads will be back much faster.
Exfoliate your face one or twice a week. This will remove all dead skin cells and clean clogged pores.
Use an astringent or toner after you wash your face and before you moisturize. This will help get rid of any sebum plugs and tighten the pores.
Blot your face with tissue paper throughout the day to soak up oil before it can accumulate.
Use creams containing AHA’s (Alpha Hydroxyl Fruit acids) like glyco-creams that will clear away any dead skin cells and “expose” the blackhead. Use the AHA’s every 3 days or so.
Natural ways to fight blackheads
Once in every two weeks, give yourself a facial steam to help open your pores. Blackheads will easily come out with slightest squeezing after this. Wash your face with cold water and a mild cleanser and apply toner or astringent. Or put a hot towel over your face for 10 minutes. This will bring the blackheads to the surface.
- Mix equal proportions of salt and lime juice and apply it to the affected area.Leave this mixture on till it dries and then wash it off.
- Make a lotion with equal parts of lime juice, almond oil and glycerin and apply on the face.
- Apply tomato pulp to the affected areas of your skin and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse off afterwards.
- Make a peel-off mask with gelatin and milk and apply over affected area. When it dries gently peel off, it will remove all the blackheads.
- Mix about a teaspoon of toothpaste (not gel type) with half a teaspoon of ordinary table salt and apply to the affected area of your face. If the mixture is too thick or dry add a few drop of water for smoother application. Leave for 5 minutes. Remove the paste if it starts to itch. Scrub the mixture off your face with warm water. Splash your face with cold water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week if there are too many blackheads.